Meet the Members of sfBIG – Sara Owens
Meet Sara Owens
- What is your job title:
Sr. Partner, Head of Data Sciences West Coast at Wavemaker
- What do you like most about your job?
Seeing my team learn and grow as they solve big, meaty problems with data
- What is one thing in our industry you wish you could change?
If I had a magic wand, I would wave it and eliminate all nefarious practices – from fraud and bot traffic to data privacy violations.
- What one piece of advice would you offer to someone wanting to get in the field:
Be curious. Learn how everything works. No matter what type of role you want to have in advertising, be a generalist when feeding your curiosity.
- If you were not in this industry, what would you like to be doing?
I would study and research the psychology of learning mathematics and develop a curriculum for schools.
- What is a “secret” favorite spot in the Bay area that you enjoy/why:
Bon Tempe Lake in Fairfax. It is a hidden gem of a hike around a beautiful lake, which is actually a reservoir in the Marin Municipal Water District. An evening hike there is beautiful, and a glass of wine after in Fairfax tops it off perfectly.
- What does your BIG membership mean to you?
It means education, mentorship, opportunity, friendship, fun. It means being connected in a community that makes me smarter and better at my job.